Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sleep, where art thou?

I was fighting a migraine earlier in the evening, and headed for bed about 7:30 p.m. where I quickly fell asleep.

I awoke, and the migraine was gone. It was still dark, and so I turned to the clock to see what time it was, expecting to have been asleep for about eight hours or so. Not a chance. It was 11:00 p.m.

So, I try to get back to sleep, and I do. Only to wake up again. I look at the clock. 11:10. p.m. Gah!

Same thing at 11:15. And 11:25. And 11:30. You wouldn't think it would be possible to fall asleep, have several dreams, and wake up again all in the space of 5 minutes. Let me tell you, it's not only possible, it's repeatable. My body is restless, my arms and legs turn and toss in an aching desire to be in motion. And yet my mind is tired, and I cannot face the thought of staying awake.

I get up, stumble into the kitchen, make myself a bowl of mango ice cream covered in cocoa powder, and wash a single vicodin down with a swig of cheap generic diet cola. Might as well make good use of the prescription.

Back in bed, I check my RSS feeds, eat the ice cream and write this entry. It's 12:20 a.m. now and I'm due back at work in just over 7 hours. Will those hours pass in blissful unconsciousness? Or will I be tossing and turning in a distorted passage of time that stretches endlessly till the dawn?

We'll see. Good night, faithful readers...

1 comment:

  1. One would hope that mango ice cream with cocoa powder would heal just about anything. I hope it worked.

    And good luck on your first day back at work! Don't forget to be nice to yourself as you go through the day. As good as you've been feeling, you're not all healed yet. Take a break when you need to. Even go home early! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete