(As requested by both Lori and Alan. Go here to make your own request)
My accommodation in Paris was in the northern suburb of St-Ouen, most famous for its Flea Market or Marché aux Puces. (Official site in French and information in English)
Essentially, during the weekends the whole place turns into one large market with 2,500 to 3,000 stalls selling anything from clothing to car parts to antiques to jewelry to furniture. It attracts both Parisians and tourists alike, and is as much fun for the people-watching as it is for the bargain hunting. I don't recall finding any treasures there myself - at least nothing worth bringing back to England at the end of my stay - but it was a fun and cheap way to spend the days when I wasn't working.
I wouldn't say it is worth a special trip if you're in Paris for just a few days, but for a stay of a couple of weeks or longer, take a bus or Métro train up north and check it out. Who knows, you might find something you can take along to Antiques Roadshow when you get home, and make a fortune!








First post! Ha! Beat you Alan!
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah, back to the blog....ahem, sorry.
Sounds like an interesting place. I still need to somehow get ACROSS the ocean first.
That sounds like a delightful place to spend a weekend!
ReplyDeleteOf course I'd be trying to come home with a ton of books I had to pay freight on, most likely!
Thank you for this!
:o)
alan
Just barely, Lori...just barely!
ReplyDeletealan