I know this is already (or will be) on all the trans-political blogs out there, and this is not by any means a political blog. But I just felt an overwhelming need to put this out there.
Schroer Decision (PDF)
(Hat tip: Autumn Sandeen on Pam's House Blend)
A few of my favorite bits:
Preece was concerned "that everyone would know that [Schroer] had transitioned from male to female because only a man could have her military experiences." (yeah, and I must be trans because I've worked on auto engine assembly lines - except I'm not)
The evidence establishes that the Library was enthusiastic about hiring David Schroer -– until she disclosed her transsexuality. The Library revoked the offer when it learned that a man named David intended to become, legally, culturally, and physically, a woman named Diane. This was discrimination "because of . . . sex."
Imagine that an employee is fired because she converts from Christianity to Judaism. Imagine too that her employer testifies that he harbors no bias toward either Christians or Jews but only "converts." That would be a clear case of discrimination "because of religion." No court would take seriously the notion that "converts" are not covered by the statute. Discrimination "because of religion" easily encompasses discrimination because of a change of religion. (Love this comparison)
Conclusion In refusing to hire Diane Schroer because her appearance and background did not comport with the decisionmaker’s sex stereotypes about how men and women should act and appear, and in response to Schroer’s decision to transition, legally, culturally, and physically, from male to female, the Library of Congress violated Title VII’s prohibition on sex discrimination.








Wait! You're not trans?!
ReplyDelete:-D
How long have we known each other, Abby? ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete