Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's Because

10cc's "I'm Not In Love" from 1975 came out just when I was in my early teens and beginning to feel like I would end up the only girl in the world who would never date, have sex or marry. Over the next few years, I'd manage to work my way through a handful of non-serious relationships, each of which was characterized by my beau expressing sentiments similar to the lyrics in this classic "love" song.

Hearing this on the radio today, as I was driving back from doing my weekend errands, brought back those bittersweet memories. Don't tell your friends about the two of us. Ah, yes. They always really, really liked me but they never wanted anyone else to know that. Did they fear that my reputation for being weird was contagious? Would their friends take their affection for me as a sign that they had fallen off the path of normal into insanity? Somehow this stigma spread even to my platonic friendships too. Weekend shopping trips couldn't be mentioned when we were back in school. The girl I spent the day with building a treehouse couldn't be seen talking to me the next week.

I've been told it was because I never seemed to want to be friends or hang out with people. I don't really buy that. If I was that much fun to be around, why were they not proud to be known as my friend (or more)?

I may never know.

I'm not in love
So don't forget it
It's just a silly phase I'm going through
And just because
I call you up
Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made
I'm not in love, no no, it's because..

I like to see you
But then again
That doesn't mean you mean that much to me
So if I call you
Don't make a fuss
Don't tell your friends about the two of us
I'm not in love, no no, it's because..

I keep your picture
Upon the wall
It hides a nasty stain that's lying there
So don't you ask me
To give it back
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me
I'm not in love, no no, it's because..

Ooh you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh you'll wait a long time
Ooh you'll wait a long time for me
Ooh you'll wait a long time

I'm not in love
So don't forget it
It's just a silly phase I'm going through
And just because I call you up
Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made
I'm not in love
I'm not in love

Updated: I forgot to say originally that the embedded YouTube video shows 10cc playing live at the BBC's Pebble Mill Studios in 1983. Coincidentally, that was the year we moved into a house in Selly Park, just a few blocks from those very studios, following my first (unsuccessful) attempt to leave my first husband. He "persuaded" me that I was delusional to think that I didn't love him, and I'd change my mind once our lives settled down and we moved. Yeah, right. Took another ten years to escape his brainwashing. So this video hits home in many ways.

3 comments:

  1. wow, can I relate.

    I was friends with this girl in Catholic school. My mom would bring me over to her house for sleepovers but at school she would not even sit next to me.

    Most of the "boyfriends" I had only wanted to have sex with me or keep it on the "down low".
    Needless to say I had quite the reputation.

    About the last part of your blog: I'm glad you've finally undone that part of your life. You know now that one does not have to choose between having no friends/relationships and having one person, although not seemingly embarrassed by being with us, controls every aspect of our lives.

    You do have a choice. And I'm happy you are finally living it. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved the "sound" and feared the lyrics of this one...I've been mulling its effect on me for several days now and still can't sort them all. Needless to say it's not on my list of "desert island discs"!

    I'm glad you figured out what you needed to do for "you" instead of just being someone else's picture!

    alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many blogs to catch up on:) Another song that we have in common...I love this one. Aww but I am so sorry that you went through all of that. It is terrible that anyone could treat you that way. I guess I can't wrap my head around how someone could be so cruel:( I think you're so fascinating and it's a shame that they could appreciate you back then. Kids can just be so nasty...Ugh! But it seems as though you have come into your own and are finding your own way to be happy. Good for you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete