A discussion with Christianne about hats dredged up some more memories, so here we go again! First, a little history for those of you who haven't read every single post I've made here.
Between the ages of three and ten, I lived with my mother in the home of two elderly, single sisters who were in their sixties at the time. The elder sister Kathleen had been my grandmother's close friend and when my mother needed a home for herself and her young daughter, she quickly offered us shelter. They had a large house, "Mayfield", half of which they had extended and converted into a nursery school/kindergarten in the 1930s, and they were still running it as a school when we lived there. The younger sister Louie also ran a Wolf Cub pack (5th Bexhill) which met weekly in the 'Big Schoolroom' downstairs (the two windows closest to the camera in the photo).
Of course, there were many activities organized for the cubs - camping trips, wilderness hikes and the annual outing to Baden-Powell House in London. I was taken along on many of these, as scouting was an important activity for Louie (pictured left). Perhaps this was when my tomboy identity was formed, as my immediate playmates tended to be "male members of the pack". I learned how to make a campfire, and cook baked potatoes overnight in the embers. I would pitch the pack's tiny tent in the back garden and pretend I was miles away in the country. I don't think I was supposed to use their equipment without asking, but I know I did on many occasions. Although I wasn't allowed off the property alone, there was threequarters of an acre of lawn, trees and vegetable plots for me to make believe I was deep in the heart of nature.
I would raid the chest where the uniforms were kept, and pick out a set for myself. The grey socks and elastic garters with the funny little protruding flag. The grey shorts and green sweater, red scarf tied with a woggle, and green peaked cap with yellow braiding. And of course, the badges. I would pick out the badges I felt I'd earned and sew them onto my sweater. I even sewed cub uniforms for my boy dolls, and embroidered badges for them, too! Sadly, I don't have actual photos any longer of myself dressed as a cub scout, but with my boyish short hair cut, at the age of 5 or 6 I didn't look very different from these boys pictured in the 1960s. No-one seemed to mind too much (as long as I put everything back undamaged) and I felt like I "fit in" when dressed that way. The pack's flag was too heavy for me to carry, but I tried my hardest!
When I was 7, I changed schools and my mother enrolled me in Brownies. Of course, everything changed. My hair grew longer, and was tied back in bunches, according to school rules. I wore a school uniform dress or skirt, in blue floral material. And of course, I had my Brownie uniform for meetings. Again, not me pictured! But this is from the year when I turned 10, and that was the uniform I wore. Brown dress that had to be ironed carefully before every meeting, and was really, really too short. Funny little yellow cross-over necktie thing. Thankfully, I had a brown beret and not the floppy hat as shown in this picture. But I felt ridiculous, and I never enjoyed myself at all. The other girls were not friendly towards me, and I was shuffled from one "Six" to another, to another (The Sprites, the Pixies, the Gnomes...) in an effort to get me socialized. I know my mother tired of replacing yet other Six badge on my uniform as it constantly changed. I did win quite a few badges for such female activities as sewing, knitting, cooking, taking care of the elderly, but there was no pleasure in it for me. I didn't "fit in" at all.
I refused to graduate into Girl Guides, and I think my mother was a little thankful that there was one less activity that she had to make sure I attended, especially as it was at this time that we moved out into a flat of our own, away from Kathleen and Louie. I know Louie was disappointed that I didn't continue in the Scouting tradition, but I was relieved. I did continue with an obsession on the details of the uniforms for each of the various Scouting branches, including those for overseas troops. But for myself, I was done.
Is there a moral, a lesson or even a point to this story? Not really. I never thought I was a little boy, or felt uncomfortable as a girl. I didn't really fall under any of the words in this post's title. (Well, I guess I was a Person. Or, as I said indignantly to my mother "I'm a people! I have brown hair and brown eyes, so I'm a People!") I just knew what I liked, and what I didn't like. And luckily for me, my mother had no problem with that at all. After all, she was very much the same...








You're a People! oh I love that comment. (-:
ReplyDeleteLet me just say I am a bit jealous of your experience with the boy scouts. I was a "brownie" too and a girl scout and never really fit in with the whole thing.
I "did" enjoy 4H, which was similar except boys and girls went together. (no uniforms)
You're an awesome people, so let's hear it for people! When I was young, I never got to do really anything, and of course being different didn't go over well in school. Then I took a year off from high school to take care of my Mom who was sick and needed to have someone around. Frankly school annoyed me more or less, so I was glad to be spending time with my Mom. Especially given that we lost her two years later.
ReplyDeleteWhen I went back to school I hadn't missed anything, literally since I'd passed the regents exams in tenth grade, which totally fubared my high school life. The only think they wanted me there for was, and I wish I was kidding, PE. It was the law they said. Yeah, right, not gonna do it, you can't make me!
So I was out of there and made arrangements to beck transfer college credits when I'd gotten them done. I'd already started getting AP credits in tenth grade, so it was no big deal. Off I went! Closest thing to any organized thing I managed to get involved with was a "21 Jump Street" kinda thing in Middle School. No uniforms or badges though.
OOOH I love these blogs that you write:) It's so interesting reading them and seeing where you've come from. I think it's so neat that you had such a great opportunity and were included with Louie and the Wolf Club pack. I never did any thing like that as a kid; though I think my mom would have loved it if I had. She used to be a Girl Scout and stuck with it all through her high school and I think maybe even college days. She has often told me about her camping trips, fun out in the wilderness or the canoeing she did with her groups. I think she often wished I would want to do the same; but it's funny, I don't ever remember her saying anything about it until it was too late for me to join. Of course maybe I forgot, too...lol. I wish I were more like you in this sense, as I'm too much of a priss with stuff and I wish I liked doing more nature related things. You must have learned so much; and I think it's so cool the stuff you mentioned that you did. It sounds like, at least during these times, you really enjoyed yourself. Though maybe I am missing something, too as I still have yet to read all your blogs:) (Making note to self to catch up)...
ReplyDeleteI can completely understand perhaps why you didn't get on as well with the gals in the brownie's. I often found myself having difficulty fitting in in situations like that...You were such a cool kid, those gals were the ones that missed out:)
I was a cub scout and was never altogether happy as such. I, too, felt like I didn't fit in and would just as rather have been with my regular friends doing what I normally liked to do. The neighborhood was an explosion of kids back in the '60s, and there wasn't a need for forced socialization. I have a vague memory of envying the girls who were Brownies. I need to be careful about creating false memories that would lend credibility to my feeling that I'm a woman, but I remember preferring the look of their uniform & accessories. By the time Cub Scouts ended and it was time enter Boy Scouts, I'd had enough, and guys of that age who wanted to continue with the uniforms and the camping and all of it were just geek-nerds.
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting that you didn't identify with either girls or boys, and if society was such that one wasn't required to submit to the requirements of one label or the other, I might feel that way, too. I certainly identified with girls as a child, but the testosterone was so strong that I carried helplessly along on the river of boyhood.
If only we could all just be "people," things would be so much easier.