Sunday, February 7, 2010

Introspection

I'm breaking my recent blog silence to muse on some thoughts that came to the surface when I read this post on asexuality and rape culture, and subsequent discussion with Renee.

Liz: There's bits of that I relate to, though I wouldn't say I'm asexual.
Renee: It's an interesting discussion. I saw another interesting discussion yesterday, at Savage's page ... a discussion about pedophiles who never act on their urges, and what life is like for such a person.
Liz: I do think I'm unattracted to a larger number of men and women that the "typical" heterosexual, or lesbian woman.
Renee: That may be true. You may have a more narrow set of "wants" or whatever.
Liz: I remember [a bisexual female friend] telling me about sitting in the park and discussing with [her gay male friend] whether passing men were hot or not. I can't imagine doing that, really.
Renee: Because physical appearance doesn't key in for you, or what?
Liz: Oh, physical appearance does key in for me. But I'm not sure if it's just some very rare physical feature I'm unaware of, or whether the physical attraction has to be overwhelming before any urge kicks in.
Renee: Hard to say I guess.
Liz: I'm not attracted to someone because they're a physically attractive man, or woman ... although I think I can judge attractiveness pretty well, both socially-defined and my own taste. But when I do feel that pull, physicality does enter into it.
Renee: So, you're like the inverse of most people. The physical attraction is normally the hook.

Even after this, I'm still not clear in my own mind. I know Renee felt she failed at understanding me, but the confusion was in my mind rather than hers. And it still is.

Sometimes, physical attraction is the hook. I can feel very strongly about someone from the first moment I see them, and when that happens it usually persists after I get to know them. That's rare - so rare that I can probably come up with the complete list of the people that has happened with in my lifetime.

At other times, the physical attraction comes after I've got to know someone for a while. That's even rarer and I can safely say that's happened less than five times in my entire life.

Outside of those "rare" and "rarer" cases, I really don't feel too much. If I'm with a friend who points someone out with a "He's hot!" or "I'd give anything to be with her!" I can look and agree (or disagree!) with their assessment, but usually I feel nothing but a mild distaste at the idea of intimacy with the object of discussion. Unlike many of my friends who view almost everyone they come across (who is of the gender they prefer) as a potential partner, I can't imagine going on dates with people who don't immediately appeal to me, in the hope that they might, at some point in the future. It's just so unlikely. In a lineup of a hundred people, I might be drawn to a couple whereas, as far as I can tell, most others could pick out anywhere from twenty to eighty that they could be interested in.

On re-reading my earlier statement to Renee, I'm not attracted to someone because they're a physically attractive man, or woman, I think I understand why I confused her, and it wasn't an accurate statement. What I really meant was that I can find many people physically attractive without wanting to be with them. For the very few times when I am drawn to someone in a romantic way, however, physical attraction can be the key.

What I related to in Gray Lady's post was Asexuals aren’t sexually attracted to men in the same way that straight men aren’t attracted to other men. And they also aren’t attracted to women in the same way that gay men aren’t attracted to women. By qualifying this "most" (as in "to most men" and "to most women"), that's pretty much where I am. However, on her About page she describes herself thus: my experiences of sexual attraction are so infrequent and low-intensity as to render them virtually insignificant. Mine are infrequent, but high-intensity. For this reason, I know that my experience is different from hers, and I wouldn't apply the same label(s) to myself. Once again, however, I am left feeling there is no label for me.

And to close this rambling, here's a bunch of celebrity pictures that covers the spectrum of who appealed to me in my teenage years. That period, probably due to puberty, was when my attraction percentage was the highest, and it has declined ever since. Not to zero, though!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I couldn't have put it better myself. It's a complex issue that doesn't have any simple answers. Yes, I find things about people physically attractive, but it is only a small part of things, and not something I can definitively state as attractive. Eyes and smiles are the biggest things for me, but that's as much about what they express, as much as the physical characteristic. Often I will find myself drawn to certain people for no apparent direct reasons, though being as sensitive as I am, often a persons "energy" is more a draw than anything else. Being an empath, and no longer denying that part of myself, I can see deeper into people and this factors into things. Honestly part of it is self defense more than anything.

    Right now however I'm still healing and growing after a decade with Earl and the way he treated me. It's been a long time since I've been close enough to anyone to worry about physical contact and I'm in no rush. Honestly right now I'm still at the point where being that close to anyone, allowing someone to touch me makes me seriously ill. So I don't even really think about it that much, I really try not to. Hopefully one day I'll reach the point in my healing journey that I can consider a relationship, but trust is going to play a much larger part in things than anything else.

    Rape Culture? I'm going to have to go read that post, but I have to say as a rape survivor, I have an even more militant view of the subject than I did when I was young. When I was young I though rapists should be removed from the gene pool by forfeiting their life. Now I think they should be raped and tortured until they have to live the rest of their life feeling and living life the way WE DO. They need to be left with crippling PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Trust issues and have to live in fear. Let them walk miles in our shoes. It's a conflict in my life as a Buddhist. I want no-one to have to suffer, and to do everything I can to prevent suffering, but in this regard, I say "To The Pain" as in Princess Bride would be merciful and not be enough suffering for Rapists.

    Thank you for sharing this with us Liz. I can so relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fair not providing a key. I am certain of exactly two of those faces (both American). I want to guess at Prince Charles and Susannah York. Probably mistaken, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there's any one model of what makes people attractive to one another. I've been attracted to women on appearance alone, certainly, while also being able to see something about them that tells me we wouldn't be a good match. I've also gotten to know women who I didn't initially think were particularly physically attractive, but whose personalities later made me desire to be with them. I had one girlfriend who struck me on both levels upon our initial meeting, without saying more than one or two words.

    The chemistry between people, whether just friends or romantic partners, is ultimately a mystery. Most amazing to me is how I came to meet one of my very best friends ever. I was working in a picture framing shop, and someone walked in for a job interview. I saw him, and my first thought, immediately, was that we would be friends. Not just friends, but lasting friends. Upon finally speaking with him later, it turned out that we had many of the same interests, a similar sense of humor, a similar outlook on life, etc. And today he considers me family, and I think of him as the brother I never had. How did I know, upon simply seeing him at a distance, that this would happen? What sort of chemistry passes through the air that informs us of these things? Why do some people seem to continually make all the wrong acquaintances? Are they unable to distinguish between good and bad chemistry?

    I don't know. Like I said, it's a mystery, but I'm glad I'm able to sense the good chemistry, because I've made a lot of good friends, and I'm still friends with most of my ex-girlfriends.

    And if I understood you to stay that you think you're "unattracted to a larger number of men and women than the 'typical' heterosexual, or lesbian woman," I'll tell you right now that I thought you looked like an attractive and interesting woman from the moment I saw you either on Facebook or blogspot, I forget which was first.

    Hugs,
    Dana
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back after a few days thought and to see what others had to say. We certainly are complex creatures and yet again i find I am not alone!I have just been told I my experience reduced libido soon, just how low is low? Attraction is one thing lust another, just wonder what that feels like. Perhaps not showing signs of lust can make you unattractive to others, wanting to be found attractive was one of my triggers. It takes so much to get me warmed up it is hardly surprising how little success I have had. I never thought there would be as many complications to asexuality as there would appear to be, should I be surprised?

    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete