This time last year, I was enjoying a visit from my friend Bonnie. It seems Tucson's February Gem & Mineral Show draws people to the city, and this year was no exception as a couple of my other friends from the frozen north decided to "come on down" and enjoy both my hospitality and the shiny rocks for sale.
I got to know Amber a couple of years ago through my friendship with Lori, and through Amber I got to know Teresa. They make hilarious videos together, and I had a feeling their visit to Tucson would be filled with the same humor. I was not wrong.
Amber and Teresa made the brave decision to drive all the way from Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and despite a later-than-planned start, they drove eleven hour days and surprised me by getting here on Sunday evening instead of the Monday afternoon I was expecting them. This did mean the carpet wasn't as clean as I had hoped for their arrival, but at least the house was warm and their beds made up. Here you can see them just moments after their arrival, posing with the beautiful vase they brought me as a gift. That first evening we just sat and talked for quite some time, even though I was assuming they'd simply want to fall straight to sleep after their long journey. It was just like meeting up with old friends, even though our direct interactions until that point had been limited to Facebook messages and comments on each other's blogs, photos and status messages. If anyone else is threatened by considering a get-together with these two, rest assured you'll have the time of your lives!
Despite Amber's initial suggestion that their first full day here be spent recovering from the trip, they were both raring to go on Monday morning, and it turned out that my suggested activity - a visit to San Xavier del Bac Mission was something they were already hoping to be able to have time to see. The photo to the left shows Teresa in front of the Mission itself, something she told me she's been wanting to visit for many years. I was glad to be there as she got the chance. We took our time touring the interior where many candles burn in memory of the departed, and the cactus garden with another candle-laden chapel at the end. The museum section with its period costumes and historic photographs and drawings was another hit, although the sight of a very small staircase and passageway leading into darkness brought out the claustrophobic in all of us. People were smaller on average back then!
After we made a couple of purchases at the gift store, we climbed the low hill to the east of the mission - as you can see from this photo, Amber was brave enough to climb to the very top, leaving Teresa and I on the path below. This would prove to be the start of a pattern, as Amber continued to blaze new pathways into the desert (or wherever we happened to be) and we would watch her go, murmuring bets on whether she'd encounter a snake or scorpion before returning.
After our climb, we had worked up enough appetite to enjoy some of the Native American flat bread that is constantly on offer from vendors using the ocotillo ramadas in front of the mission. Amber was new to this delicacy, and the generous portion of honey and sugar on top of the flat bread escaped onto the bag in which her gift store items were being carried. Luckily, one of the purchases was a bag, so the sticky yellow plastic bag was discarded and for the rest of the time, Amber carried everything in her smart new woven tote, complete with native Kokopelli pattern. As we wandered over to another enclave of souvenir stores, we were adopted by this very friendly dog who seemed all set to go home with us - until we'd finished our bread! Then he promptly turned tail and set off back to the ramadas, to await the next hungry tourist.
Once we'd been abandoned by our canine friend, we found a stall selling rocks! Gems and minerals were the primary reason for the visit to Tucson, and this was their first chance to browse. Although we knew that prices would be cheaper at the actual Gem & Mineral Show, it was a good introduction to what might be on offer. The gentleman selling his wares had many tales to tell, as well, including his time spent in Michigan where he'd apparently appeared as an extra in a movie or two, as well as in commercials for a casino up near Amber and Teresa's home.
After checking with my guests to make sure they hadn't worn themselves out, I decided to drive them back "the long way" - north on Mission Road to Valencia, and then west past the casinos to Ajo, turning north again on Sandario Road. Amber casually asked if the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum could be seen from where we were, and I suggested pulling over to the side of the road so that I could get out of the car and point it out to them. We succeeded in that mission - and then we lost Amber again, as she discovered quartz on the ground, and wandered into the creosote bushes looking for more. Teresa and I stayed closer to the car, pointing out the variously sized holes in the ground and discussing what might live in there. Tarantulas, scorpions, rattlesnakes... finally Amber returned to us, safe and sound, with some dead cholla branches which had caught her fancy. We continued on up Sandario, turning east on Mile Wide Road where we stopped again to rock-hunt. This time, our lucky find was several pieces of flint which were perfect for Amber's new hobby of making arrowheads. In this photo, you can see Amber posing by a saguaro cactus before continuing to search the ground. Finally, as the sun started to dip in the sky, we make a brief visit to the Saguaro National Park Visitor Center, before heading home for a dinner of shepherd's pie.
(TL;DR yet, anyone?
)
As Tuesday dawned, we made a leisurely start to the day, and arrived at Old Tucson Studios around noon. Although I pass the entrance every day on my commute to work, this was my very first visit to this Tucson tourist trap. The entrance fee is less on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, as they shut a few things down for maintenance, but we still got to see a great deal. Our tour guide, PJ, was very knowledgeable, which was not surprising as he told us that he was there on opening day as a ten-year-old boy, and had been a fan ever since. In his current position as head of pyrotechnics, he obviously has a lot to offer both visitors and filmmakers.
After walking us through the town, PJ handed us over to the "medicine man". I knew this would happen. As the young acting hopeful cast his eye over the crowd looking for a victim, of course his gaze would fall on me. I reluctantly made my way up onto the wooden stage, and fell for all of his witticisms - delivered in perhaps the worst British accent ever. Here you can see me pretending to shoot a tin can, for which my reward was a revolting bottle of Sasparilla. Thanks, Amber and Teresa, for capturing my humiliation on camera.
The remainder of the time, we just wandered freely, taking in old trains, Chinatown, horses, ice cream, and before we knew it, it was time to leave.
Reluctant to waste any moments of daylight, I suggested we drive up through scenic Gates Pass before heading home. As we did so, we realized we still had quite a bit of time before sundown, so we continued on into Tucson and ended up at Sentinel Peak, aka "A" Mountain. Lori and I had taken photos up there a year ago during Bonnie's visit, and it seemed fitting to continue the tradition. As we snapped away happily at views over the city, I received a message from Lori telling me she was just a few miles south of us and suggesting we join her for dinner. I knew she couldn't wait to meet Amber and Teresa in person!
We finished up our photographic activity, and drove down to the sleepy town of Green Valley. After a quick trip to the supermarket for some essentials, we all met up at Denny's for a convivial meal full of the type of chatter that only people who have known each other a long time online, but never met in person, can have. The deep familiarity that comes with following someone's blog for years, coupled with the contrasting "Well, you never mentioned that online - it all makes sense now!" made for a great bonding conversation. Our very friendly waitress only added to the atmosphere of friendship and fun.
Wait ... what?
No photos for this section? Surprising as it may seem to anyone who knows any of the four of us, no cameras or cellphones were used during the evening. I didn't realize it until later, and I'm still recovering from the shock!
Wednesday dawned, and sadly I was due back at work. I left the house before my guests were up and about, but I knew there'd be a silver lining to the day. At some point during the morning, Lori would be collecting Amber and Teresa from my house, taking them to breakfast and then bringing them to my workplace, which of course is Tucson's best tourist attraction in its own right! I made sure I had dealt with all of my email early on, so that when I received the call from Visitor Services that my guests had arrived, I would be free to go and show them around. Our first stop was the ever-popular "Live and (sort of) on the Loose" demonstration in our Warden Oasis Theater, during which Kyle presented the slow, yet dangerous Gila Monster, and Renee showed us the "watch me while I poop!" rattlesnake. (Note that I spared you photos of rattlesnake poop) Once that was over, we took the back (i.e. staff only) route to the restaurant in time to grab a quick cup of coffee before Raptor Free Fight was scheduled to start. In this photo, you can see Lori captured the three of us admiring the old photos of the museum on display in the Ironwood Terraces.
All day, we had been marveling at how the forecast torrential rains had held off. However, as we left the restaurant and headed for Cat Canyon, drops started to fall. By the time we reached the free flight area, the rain was getting heavier and sadly after a few swoops and passes, the demonstration was called off. We headed for shelter, but not before becoming slightly drenched. I actually think the "wet look" was a good one for us, as this picture shows.
I did hear later from Larisa that when the rain stopped - about 15 minutes later - that she "got the roadrunner out" for those brave souls who had stuck it out. Not us. We stayed in the shelter of Lower Cat Canyon, admiring the grey fox, ocelot, bobcats and raccoon until the sun reappeared.
Next stop on our tour was the new "Life on the Rocks" exhibit, where we almost lost Amber in the (kids and slender adults only) detour passageway. As we scurried on past the howling coyotes to the javelinas, I gave them the gist of the story from last year where a museum guest fell foul of a wild javelina who had come to visit with our exhibit animals. We were all glad that the javelinas we saw that day were safely behind the invisible fencing, although the signs made it clear that normally these creatures pose no threat to humans unless provoked. The afternoon was wearing on, so we finished up the tour through the Mountain Woodland area, where the prairie dogs, turkeys, Mexican wolves, black bear and mountain lions were all enjoying the cool air after the rain shower, and seemed happy to pose for photos.
We finished up the day back in my office, where my co-worker Gareth (one of the other two people in the I.T. department) did his best to be entertaining. I have a sneaking suspicion he might have been just as big a hit as the animal exhibits, and his background in music made for some interesting conversation as he and Amber compared performing experiences. Meanwhile, I sat at my desk, finishing up the day's work, as you can see here. I am lucky to have a boss who realizes that time spent escorting visitors around our facilities is good PR and a worthy use of my time.
The next two days I spent back at work for real, while Amber and Teresa went off on the real reason for their visit - the Gem & Mineral Show. Each evening I was greeted with tales of the marvels they had seen - crystal balls the size of pumpkins, geodes as tall as a person, and barrels and barrels full of quartz and other semi-precious stones that tempted them into buying more than they could fit into their car for the trip home. I was lucky that I didn't come home to find this crystal in my house! (Amber shown for scale) However, I was most grateful to Amber for her gift of a tigerseye of my choice, and a beautiful quartz crystal as a thank you for letting them stay with me. Perhaps the most unusual purchases they made were a pair of Tibetan bowls that rang melodically when encircled with wooden pestles.
Finally, the weekend came, and we all set out bright and (not so) early for the Renaissance Festival which is held every year just to the east of Phoenix. This was opening day, and I had no idea what to expect as it was my first time. I captured this photo as we went through the entrance and were transported back an indistinct number of years into a place where history and fantasy tumbled indistinguishably together. Early on, I spied a necklace that I liked, but I decided not to buy it right away as I was on a limited budget. Amber and Teresa both tried on hats, but only Amber made a purchase - and spent the rest of the day with the perfect pirate hat. Around the middle of the day, we found ourselves at a performance by a pirate captain and his wench, and I quickly made a break for it to go back and purchase that necklace, which was still calling to me. As I returned, I saw the performance was over and suggested it was time for lunch. We found a place that was serving almost authentic British food and ordered bangers & mash, sausage rolls and fish & chips.
Further on, we came across a craft village, where this armored gentleman expressed an interest in our "fairy boxes", which he explained to his lady wife as being so magical that we could shrink a group of artists inside them, and these artists would then paint pictures of whatever we pointed the boxes at. Also in the village were some women baking bread in an outside oven, a leatherworker and a blacksmith. Each one was very open to chatting about their craft, and had business cards to hand out. I even overheard the blacksmith talking to a visitor about how much anvils cost, and where they could be bought.
I had mentioned earlier in the week that I planned eventually to add a deck to my house, and my guests were eager to help me work out this size, shape, location and construction methods. As we came across a master carpenter, I knew immediately that this example of his work would have to be the finishing piece on the deck. Whether or not the little fellow comes with the bar is not clear! Regardless, I think this would be perfect for summer evenings out on the deck, perhaps with a matching hot tub nearby. Amber and Teresa agreed, and even promised to help me build it on their next trip.
I couldn't resist taking this picture. As anyone who has been immersed in geek culture, and D&D knows, the chain mail bikini is one of those stereotypical items that personifies the misogyny and ridiculous portrayal of women found in those circles. I'm "glad" to see that you can actually purchase a real, wearable version of this class of armor. (No, I did not buy one. In case you were wondering. Of course, you weren't wondering. Or imagining. Good.) A little further on, we finally found someone selling some fine swords and axes, although both Amber and Teresa resisted the temptation to make a purchase there. We did spend a good deal of time chatting with the store owner, though.
It was getting late when we finally made our way back to the entrance and started the drive home. Half way, we stopped at a historic monument marking the place where Tom Mix died, and I captured this photo of Amber standing on a rock to take a picture of the setting sun. The perfect end to a perfect day. They planned to leave the next morning, so after making a swift remake of their original "Bubble Wrap" video, we all retired for an early night.
Their Sunday departure was delayed a little by the desire to drive around Three Points (er, I mean "Robles Junction" - sorry, Larisa!) where we discovered many dirt roads and counted a total of fourteen Border Patrol vehicles on their way to ... something undetermined. Returning back from that short detour, I thanked them for the pleasure of their company over the past week, and waved them goodbye. I hear the drive north went well, and I hope they enjoyed themselves as much as I did. I can scarcely wait until this time next year when I know they will return.
For Lori's take on meeting Amber and Teresa, and many many more photos, see her own blog entry here.








Looks like everyone had fun! This is a great goodness. As to big and snakes, I'd have stayed with you and Teresa. ZERO chance of me explore when things there would be happy to kill and eat me. Call me a woos, but I don't do bugs.
ReplyDeleteThe trip back was pretty uneventful, but for the sudden attack of the "creeping crud". Amber's cold finally took in my lungs after a couple weeks driving around together and by halfway through the last day homeward I was coughing up some nice gritty phlegm. As the line in "Holy Grail" goes "I'm getting better!"> Eventually I'll even get that video done. Really!
ReplyDeleteTLDR? On the contrary, I turned it into a virtual tour of the Tucson area by following along on Google Earth. And what a cool place to work! I give this post a thumbs up.
ReplyDeleteTLDR? Not in the least bit, at least for me! You tell your side of the story exactly as I saw it from mine. Amber and Teresa are two wonderful people that anyone would have the pleasure of knowing. I can't wait for their return, and I look forward to the next adventure (or is it mystery?) of who will visit Tucson next?
ReplyDeleteGreat update about your recent visitors and all the adventures! Reminded me fondly of my own trip to Tucson last February. I wish that a winter vacation had worked out this year, but there is just too much going on with still having an extended family in my household and all that that has entailed. Say, your Arizona Renaissance Festival has really piqued my interest, being an annual and faithful Minnesota Ren Fest attendee for over 30 years now. Maybe next year we can go???
ReplyDelete@Samantha - I'm with you, I hate all kinds of creepy-crawlies. Even the ones that won't kill and eat me.
ReplyDelete@Teresa - Feel better soon! I am so looking forward to seeing how that video turned out.
@Leslie - Wow, you take your blog reading seriously! I never thought my "where we drove" descriptions would be followed by anyone not local to the area.
@Lori - YOU read the whole thing? *faints* Seriously, I write these in the hopes that it will encourage more visitors to our part of the world.
@Kinsey3 - Dear friend, it would be my pleasure to go to the Ren Fest here with you next year. It runs for almost two months, I believe, so we have flexibility in dates. We should keep in touch more often, I miss you!
The fun of being in the company of the 3 of you (or any of you) would be a rare joy for this life. I'm glad it all worked out, with the weather allowing them to get there and back, though I'm sure they'd have been much happier hanging out for a few more months!
ReplyDeleteSince I was a kid (auto enthusiast) I knew "how" Tom Mix died; funny I never knew "where"!
Hooray for Google Earth!
(Odd that Mix should die there as I recently read his buddy Will Rogers had been looking at ranches in Arizona just before his ill-fated trip to Alaska.)
Since I worry about the holes in the ground here I guess I'd be right at home!
Thank you so much for the words and the photos!
alan