Monday, February 2, 2009

Flying Balls

Can you tell which one is me? Answer at the bottom of the post.

I was never a coordinated child. When we did athletic benchmarks, I scored so low on "how far can you throw a cricket ball" that the distance was less than the minimum on the scoring charts. This was because I was so nervous that I let go of it too late, and threw it straight at the ground instead of an arcing trajectory. Mrs Roberts didn't let me have a second try. Although I was not good at any sport, those involving balls were particularly challenging.

At St Marys Baldslow, which I attended from age 11 to 16, the winter sport was lacrosse. I have no idea why, as hardly any other schools in the area played it. I guess the athletic staff didn't care for hockey. Anyway, one week I was placed in goal. It was a terrifying experience, being the target of a fast-moving, head-height, hard leather ball and some subconscious survival instinct kicked in enabling me to save 5 out of 7 attempts at goal. This impressive performance earned me a place on the school team, where I spectacularly failed to ever save another goal.

When I moved to Kelly College for my last two years, I was happy that lacrosse was not on the schedule. Instead, the girls played hockey. I knew nothing of how to play hockey, and of course everyone else had grown up with it and was well acquainted with the rules. Mr Kirwin, our coach, asked me what I'd played before, and what position... uh oh. You guessed it, I ended up in goal again. And what a disaster that was.

Let me explain. I have trouble with rules for team sports. I know most people find it hard to understand the offside rule. All rules are like that for me. I can't relate the words to what I see happening in front of me. At one point, Janet, the team captain, told me to "let it go, let it go" as the ball was headed for me. I blocked the ball anyway, but it turned out there was something about the way it was hit that meant it wouldn't have counted as a goal, and letting it cross the line would have given us a corner. So after that, my mind was set on trying not to make that mistake again, and I neatly side-stepped the next few balls, giving our opponents very easy goals indeed!

The photo above shows me during my very brief time on the school team, at about sixteen years old. (I'm in the back row, far right. My best friend at the time, Maggie is at the far left of the back row, with Debbie next to her. Everyone else is from the year above me.) That was the last time I was on a team for any sport. And I'm quite happy for it to stay that way.

5 comments:

  1. Goalie has to be a scary position. I never tried out for any school teams I just wasn't good at them. I tried little league baseball but wound up on the bench so much that I just stopped going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my most embarrassing moment in the one semester I joined wrestling (yeah, overcompensation at it's best). It was such a horrific experience I failed to try out for other sports. I was always a choir boy (go figure) and enjoyed my chill time hanging out with my girlfriends at the bleachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a very good soccer fullback. I had an unerring ability to take the ball away from just about anyone on the opposing team. A very handy skill for a defensive player. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn on offense, but I did actually hit the goal (and miss the goalie) from my own half of the pitch one game. I was...hmm...lessee...13 or 14 at the time. I have--or rather, had--and ideal build for wrestling, and I was actively pursued by the wrestling team, but I didn't like the sport. Plus, I had these...feelings...that made me uncomfortable with such a full contact sport (I kinda liked being in the "bottom" defensive position, the one on my hands and knees, when we did wrestling in PE class, but I don't think my opponents would have appreciated knowing why...).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow can I relate!
    except I played soccer instead of cricket and was terrible at it. I kicked the ball in the wrong goal once and was made to play "sweeper". I just remember my teammates being angry with me all the time and my mother not letting me "give up on the game".
    I don't much care for sports that require balls. (You can take that any way you wish! ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never an athletically coordinated child or adult I fear...

    I love the photo, though...you are cute and your hair is gorgeous!

    I look forward to more words and photos from that new found treasure!

    alan

    ReplyDelete